Wednesday 28 May 2014

Spring Baking // Coconut Pineapple Carrot Cake


was going to make a post about my recent diet and lifestyle changes and how amazing I've been feeling lately, then this cake happened.

I was so happy when I got a request in my 'Sunday Photo Diary' post comments to do a recipe for this cake; however, because I didn't initially plan on making this post, I didn't take step-by-step photos.  Not to fear, this cake is simple enough even for me to make and that's saying something.

For the cake itself, you'll need:
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 nutmeg
  • 2 cups grated raw carrots
  • 1 cup drained crushed pineapple
  • 1/2 cup flaked coconut
  • Optional: 1/2 cup of raisins and 1/2 cup of finely chopped nuts (We omitted the raisins and added 1/2 cup of pecans; you can also use walnuts)
*Taken from The Canadian Living Cookbook (1987)*

For the cream cheese icing you'll need:

  • 1/2 cup room temperature butter
  • 4 oz cream cheese (we used reduced fat cream cheese)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 cups (approx.) sifted icing sugar
*This is my mom's version of cream cheese icing; I prefer this one because it doesn't call for as much butter and cream cheese yet still tastes amazing*

Pan Preparation
  • We greased and floured two round 9-inch cake pans and preheated the oven to 350 F
Cake Preparation

  • Start by beating the eggs well in a large bowl.  Then gradually add sugars, beating until light.
  • Gradually beat in oil.
  • In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Then, stir this into the egg mixture.
  • Stir in grated carrots, raisins and nuts (if you're using them).  I used a 4-sided cheese grater to grate the carrots.
  • Add the crushed pineapple (we took chunks of pineapple and crushed them with a food processor) and flaked coconut (we used sweetened flakes).
  • Poor into pans, bake for 35-40 minutes; To test if it's ready, lightly press your finger in the middle.  If the cake springs back up, you should be good to go!
  • Let the cakes cool in the pan before gently transferring them to a rack.  Warning: Our cakes were a little crumbly when turning them out from the pans.  Eat whatever crumbly bits fall and pretend you're checking for poison or something.  (Delicious, right??)
Icing Preparation
  • With a hand mixer or blender, cream the butter.
  • Add the cream cheese and vanilla, mixing until well-blended.
  • Gradually beat in icing sugar until the consistency is smooth and spreadable.
And you're done!  What did I tell you, super easy.  If you're like me and trying to watch what you eat as summer approaches, technically this has fruits and vegetables.  It's like a baked fruit salad...right?

Please let me know if you give this recipe a try and what you thought of it, I love feedback!
Thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoy your cake!
xo



2 comments:

  1. This post was fine without the pictures! I can't thank you enough for the recipe. I'm so excited to bake it this weekend!! Spencer loves carrot cake, so I'm sure he'll be excited too, haha.

    Much Love,
    -Stephanie Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Must make ASAP. I just need to buy coconut shreds. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

    ReplyDelete