Sunday 11 May 2014

DIY // Homemade Honey Face Mask


Happy Sunday Everyone! 

Today I thought I'd share with you my favorite homemade face mask recipe.  It takes only 4 ingredients and it's extremely beneficial for your skin.

All you'll need is honey, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg.  You really don't need much of any of these ingredients if you're just making a mask for yourself.  In the above photo, I was making enough for both my mom and I as a sort of Mother's Day wind-down.

Start with the honey and add a little nutmeg and a little cinnamon.  Honey has excellent anti-bacterial qualities and anti-microbial qualities, as does cinnamon; when mixed together they make the ultimate acne fighter.  Also, both honey and nutmeg can help reduce the appearance of acne scars over time.

You barely need to add any milk, just a few drops to make the mask more spreadable.  The milk helps soothe and nourish your skin by hydrating and lightly exfoliating.

Caution: If you have sensitive skin, be careful how much cinnamon you add to your mask.  Your skin might sting when you first apply the mask due to the cinnamon.

Once I've mixed my ingredients, I let the mixture sit and thicken slightly for a few minutes while I wash my face with a mild cleanser. 


Because I don't have any exact measurements, my mask always differs slightly in consistency.

Once I've washed my face I like to apply the mask gently.  The cinnamon and the nutmeg will feel like exfoliating beads on your face.  I use this mask to exfoliate as I remove it, not as I apply it.



When applying the mask, leave the area around your eyes clear; the skin around your eyes is very thin and sensitive and the cinnamon might irritate it.


Because this mask has honey in it, I tend to leave it on for longer than my store-bought masks.  I'll leave it on for 20+ minutes and I usually do it on a day where I know I don't have to go anywhere.  The cinnamon leaves my skin a tad red sometimes so I recommend trying 10 minutes for your first time using it.

Now it's time to hang out, read a magazine, light a candle and have some you time.

Hand Lotion: L'Occitane; Candle: Joe Malone Blackberry and Bay



When removing the mask, work it gently in circles on your chin and areas you normally exfoliate.  You might need to use a soft, wet washcloth to get it all off but be warned, the cinnamon will stain the washcloth if you just leave it so be sure to thoroughly rinse the cloth after you use it.

Afterward I like to apply toner, moisturizer and a little coconut oil to my dry patches and lips for extra hydration.

If you've made too much mask, stick it in the fridge and use it as a spot treatment.  I'll often use a dab of honey and cinnamon as a spot treatment and leave it on overnight.  My favorite time to use this mask is right before that pesky time of the month and it either halts my breakouts completely or makes them much less noticeable.

This is a great way to pamper yourself at home and on a budget!
Let me know if you try it out and happy sunday!
xo

1 comment:

  1. great post I'm definitely going to try this! I love DIY face masks X

    Istylethereforeiiwear

    ReplyDelete