Friday 23 May 2014

my interview essentials



Graduation means job hunting and I'd almost forgotten how much I hate it.  Not to mention that the stress that comes along with heated questioning is enough to make anyone nervous.  I do however, have a few key pieces that help boost my confidence.

When applying for jobs and attending interviews, I always like to make sure my nails and hands are pristine.  You can tell quite bit about a woman (and a man) by the state of their nails and shaking hands is practically mandatory.  I like to keep it simple with a sheer, white polish and a glossy topcoat.  This way, if you get a chip or two as the busy week progresses, it's easy to touch up.  This particular polish is from Kiko.

As for makeup, I also tend to aim for clean and simple.  If you've been waiting weeks to test out that new fuchsia lipstick, today is not that day.  Unless you're applying for a position in the beauty industry, try keeping it simple with a "your-lips-but-better" color or something sheer.  I always reach for my Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Candeur.

Scent is extremely important, especially now that the weather is heating up.  Nervous means sweat and apparently, "stress sweat" smells worse than the regular kind.  Perfect.  When deciding on a perfume to wear, pick something on the sophisticated side.  If it's a perfume that you would also wear to a nightclub, put it down and step away.  I like to wear a scent that is slightly floral with a hint of woodsy musk, such as Jo Malone's Dark Amber and Ginger Lily.  Spritz it on your neck and in the crooks of your arms but remember, you don't want anyone to smell you before they see you.

For my bag, I tend to ditch my bulky black leather bag that moonlights as a carry-on and instead I grab my oversized "business" clutch from Lodis.  It's big enough to fit extra resumes and small enough so that I'm not fumbling at all with it.  It fits the basics and makes my outfit look clean and put-together.

If you can't wear flats, wear a shoe you can actually walk in, like a kitten heel.  Make sure your shoes are scuff-free and clean and practice walking in them before you head out.  Do not take an interview day as an opportunity to break in new heels.  These BCBG heels were a steal from TJ Maxx.

Remember, just be yourself and try your best (or so everyone tells me).  If you don't get the job, it's not the end of the world.  Don't be afraid to ask questions and just relax.

Good luck!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment