Tuesday 2 September 2014

Welcome, September



September: The leaves start to fall, pants become a more regular thing and you start craving things like fresh stationary and pumpkin flavoured goods.  Well, I'm already there.  To tell you the truth, I was there like, two weeks ago.  This will be the first Autumn I'm not school and it already feels weird.  

A quick life update: I quit my job.  It was bad, it turned me sluggish and made me unhappy.  However, I found a new one!  It doesn't start up right away so I'm taking a brief work-free moment to cleanse my thoughts (as well as my apartment).

I thought I'd share with you a few simple tricks on how to move past summer toward autumn and new beginnings.

First, buy a bloody planner, agenda, whatever you want to call it.  People remind me on a daily basis: "Hey, you know you can put all that information in your phone, right?!".  Yes, I know you can but there's something about having it in front me, concrete and tangible that is much more satisfying than pushing the backspace button once I've accomplished something.  I just purchased this new Paperblanks Moroccan-style hardcover pocket agenda from a nearby bookstore.  It goes all the way till the end of 2015, has two page marking ribbons and a pocket at the back for notes and receipts.  Not to mention it looks like an old spell book, bonus.  When in doubt, write it down.

Second, I bought some new candles and they're actually not from Bath and Body Works.  After a few years, two candles for $25-$30 sounds a little ridiculous.  I made a brief trip to Ikea and bought some floral-scented candles.  Some of them even came in little ceramic floral pots; perfect for storing jewelry once it's burnt out.

Third, do yourself and your coffee table a favor and go buy The September Issue.  You shouldn't need to know what magazine I'm talking about.  Just go buy it, for the good of your soul.

Fourth, change your iPhone case and background to something a little more seasonally appropriate.  I ditched my floral case and background for a plain, black leather case and an artsy fall background.  Little changes work wonders so try changing your phone and desktop background once a week for a change in scenery.  After all, the thing is probably glued to your hand.

Last, read a damn book.  Not a book required for a class, not a magazine, not a blog, a real book.  Be it fantasy, sci-fi, fiction, self-help it doesn't matter.  I find reading books very therapeutic and I very much regret not setting aside time to read them while in university.  You wouldn't believe how many books are out there.  My personal favorites are historical fictions like the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness.  It's one of the most well-researched historical fictions I've ever read and am likely to read again.  Witches, vampires, daemons, love, alchemy, drama, everything I could want in a book.  Go read them, seriously.






Well that's my advice to you on this rainy September evening.  I can barely contain my excitement for fall!  Pop by later this week and I'll show you some new fall additions to my beauty routine; HINT HINT: It's gonna be a dark one ;)

Farewell, my pretties.
xo

2 comments:

  1. Like your post Toots.....but you know I can't go there for another four weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I was also in "fall" mode a couple weeks before all the pumpkin started ;) I'm just so happy I can grab PUMPKIN flavored anything now. Good luck with your new job and your brief life/apartment cleanse. Always need one of those!

    Much Love,
    -Stephanie Eva

    ReplyDelete