Thursday 19 June 2014

DIY: Coffee Body Scrub


Coffee scrubs have been making appearances on several beauty blogs, particularly the "Frank" brand coffee scrubs that come in the adorable, minimalist brown packaging.  I was intrigued after watching Karissa Pukas' Skincare Routine Video, where she uses the Frank coffee scrub as pre-tan exfoliator.  After visiting the website, I realized how friggen' pricey it was for a bag of compost-worthy coffee grounds.  

Funny thing was, after reading the ingredients list I thought to myself: "I have most of these things in my cupboard for peet's sake".  Although I improvised a little with the measurements, I was surprisingly impressed with the results.

I used about 4 tablespoons worth of coffee grounds (the amount needed to make a 2-cup cup of coffee), 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.

You can also get creative and add some cocoa and lavender oil, but I decided to keep it simple.  

As far as directions go, it's a body scrub...you scrub your body with it.  However, I do have several tips.  Before you even head to the shower, grab a cloth and some grease-fighting dish soap.  Because of the oils, the floor of your shower or bathtub will get very slippery and the coffee grounds are going to make a huge mess.  After I've scrubbed my body, I like to give the shower a quick wipe down so that the next person who gets in doesn't slip and break their neck.  So unless you've got a personal vendetta against your roommate, clean up after yourself.  I apply this scrub to dry skin but I do so standing in the shower/bath tub.  As I said, this stuff gets messy.

I scrub my whole body but I omit my face, making sure to take my time especially in dry areas such as my elbows and my knees, allowing the oils to sink in and work their moisturizing magic.  I wash my body with a nice soap and a lufa afterward to remove most of the oily residue and I finish up by slathering on a nice, thick moisturizer or body butter.

I would suggest doing this before you shave or apply self-tanner.  I've used this several times now and it leaves my skin incredibly soft; I actually prefer it over the other scrubs in my bathroom.



Let me know if you give this a try and what you think!  
Stay smooth, ladies.
xo, J.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh this is perfect! I'm so glad you made this scrub, because now I don't have to spend zillions on (as you so perfectly put it) "compost-worthy coffee grounds". I love that the ingredients are super nourishing for your skin, too! Amen to the greese-fighting soap! I make a hair conditioning treatment for myself with coconut and olive oil and it is SLICK CITY, like ice skating in the shower for like... Days, if you don't tackle it right away! Lastly, that picture of the drain (from an artistic stand point) is ROCKIN', too!
    "Stay Smooth!" haha, love it.

    Much Love,
    -Stephanie Eva

    ReplyDelete